Saturday 8 June 2013

Just can't get enough!

We made it. 17 days, 4 countries, 3 Ramon's, 1 Mr Taco and a terrible category 3 sunburn. We reached San Jose with heavy hearts as 5 of us were leaving the group and the rest carrying on to Panama. I had three days to fill before flying to Cuba on friday and asked Ernesto what he suggested I do and he said 'Come with us to the next stop!'. Result! Not only does it delay saying goodbye but it means I can squeeze in one more Caribbean costal town. We had a lovely farewell dinner that was nearly ruined by a confrontation with an intoxicated and rude American woman. Thanks to Val who put her in her place in a most satisfying manner! Some of the more sprightly members of our group went to the local nightclub to find it filled with 18-20yr old American students who can't go to nightclubs back home. We powered on and heaps of locals rocked up later on. They had a live band which was awesome and we boogied away until the early morning. There was an enthusiastic young Danish lady who was at least 2-3 times my size who got up on the stage, whipped her top up and jiggled like there was no tomorrow much to the great amusement of the local Costa Rican's. I was quite concerned she might knock herself out with a violently thrashing boob, but I think she escaped with possibly only some back pain and an extra 10cm of length. I wasn't sure whether to be complimented or enraged when a young gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and said 'You next. I think you better'. Great.
With a sore head and a heavy heart after saying goodbye to Kath, Annie, Rudy and Peter I went on ahead to Puerto Viejo as the others had a day in San Jose to welcome the new members. It meant I had two nights instead of one to compensate for the combined 9 hr bus ride there and back. I arrived in the dark to find seven Rastafarian dudes shouting at me-felt like coming home to Brixton. One of them took pity on me and explained how to walk the two blocks to my hotel after some taxi drivers attempted to charge me $5 to literally drive about 500m. Thanks Charlie!! The hotel was set in a tropical garden with little huts, hammocks and mosquito nets. A Caribbean paradise!  I spent a lovely morning relaxing and meandering through the town waiting for the others to arrive in the afternoon. The town has a lovely relaxed Caribbean feel with Rastas, plenty of dogs, palm trees and stoned surfy types.

(One of the local bars)

(Chillin after a hard morning fishing)

The rest of the group arrived and we had another farewell dinner just for me (hehe) and then went for just one or two drinks. I'm not entirely sure what happened but suddenly it was 1am and things were getting out of hand! We stumbled home before things got worse! 

(Frozen mojito-the main culprit)

(Ernesto our guide)

(Meerah, Mario, Nat and Jay-who kept his Dirty Sanchez just for me)

(We are not entirely sure who that dude was but he was giving out shots and apparently was from Coughs Harbor)


My last day with the group dawned with sore heads and reports of someone feeling 'vomity' (not me!). Most of the group headed off for a full day of activity and the rest of us were meeting them halfway through at the Jaguar Rescue Centre. Now, we were a little bit disappointed to find the Jaguar Rescue Centre doesn't actually have a Jaguar but it was soon forgotten when we saw the baby sloths and monkeys. Most of the animals are orphans or injured due to falling out of trees, being stoned/or hit by cars or electrocuted on wires. We got to sit in the baby monkey enclosure during therapy and a little Howler monkey took a liking to my hair and promptly sat on my shoulder. So sweet! Sadly, no cameras allowed in the enclosure but I think someone has one taken from outside. Said a thankfully quick goodbye (hate goodbyes) to the majority of people at the Jaguar centre and headed back for one last Jerk chicken before the return bus to San Jose. Val, Jay and Nat came to wave me off and we had a giggle that I had been designated the handicapped seat. 

I made it just in time to the airport after getting stuck in some pretty hairy traffic jams to promptly find out my plane had been cancelled....last week! I had attempted to check the night before but had been unable to get on the website. I enquired why I hadn't been informed-there was a blank look given back to me and a $70 voucher to use on their airline (an excuse to come back). They booked me on another airline, via Panama. So good news was I was going to Panama after all and bad news was that instead of 3 hrs it was going to take me 9!!! However, I don't really care as I'm going to Cuba!!!! Yeeeeee haaaaa!! Or should I say 'Arriba Arriba'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment